Friday, October 30, 2009

That's one big happy family...


...wearing their family reunion sweatshirts (46 of 'em, to be exact). The project took over my dining room for about a week — boxes of sweatshirts, stacks of printed heat-transfer vinyl, an iron and a roll of parchment paper.

It was my first time working on sweatshirts instead of tees, and I still consider myself a novice when it comes to tees! Heat transfers work best when they're done on a hard surface, so my biggest dilemma was how to keep the bulk of the sweatshirt fabric from ruining the transfer. The solution: buy a cheap wooden cutting board and slip it inside the sweatshirts while ironing on the transfer. It worked great.

And the best part: this family was delightful to work with. I got to hand-deliver one box of shirts, which was promptly torn open (upside-down, even) by a pair of little kids who couldn't wait to get to their own pint-sized sweatshirts.

So we're now plotting a shirt design for our own family reunion next July....